Friday 14 September 2012

To Auntie Charmaine: Live, Love, Dance

Picture by Kelly & Bernice Bryce, 2012


Nineteen years ago you took on many life changing moulding projects. A modern dancing class filled with 3 & 4 year olds: undisciplined, unbearable, unconfident- not for long I must add! All of us were put in line as soon as our mothers/guardians left the studio. Thus, my first memory leads to this day where I skipped in a circle with a bunch of hyper active young ladies. 

“Point your toes or I’ll chop them off and hang them on the washing line!’ she said. A tough lady with a warm heart always wearing her black heels. I still do not understand how she moved with us wearing those shoes!?

Picture by Kelly & Bernice Bryce, 2012

Auntie Charmaine, you were always there for each and every dancing competition and showcase. Before we jumped onto the stage, you gave us a little pat on the bottom enhancing a sense of pride and happiness. When the enthusiasm after a doing a solo came to the last set of eight counts, you were on the opposite side catching us with a hug.

“I am going to place a broomstick behind your back. Straighten it!”

Picture by Kelly & Bernice Bryce, 2012


During exams, you were always calming our nerves with funny jokes and somehow I always had my costume on backwards. I remembered that these incidents always placed a smile on your face. There was no chance of getting out of our costumes picked by Auntie Charmaine. Beware if you were chewing gum or danced around with lose hair in her class...BIG TROUBLE!

Picture by Kelly & Bernice Bryce, 2012
 
I remember when Monique (daughter) stood in for you when you were getting older. How amazed I was at how beautifully and elegantly she moved on the floor. I also remember your shocking facial expression when my dad picked me up from dancing- a small world since you and him attended the same school!

Nineteen years has past and I am still in your studio. I can tell that each and every girl in the senior group misses you. With every step, jump or kick we take, the instilled disciplines come to show. There is a part of you in each and every one of us. You made all the girls fall in love with dancing; a special and personal experience. You moulded us into who we are: disciplined, confident and proud. 

Picture by Kelly & Bernice Bryce, 2012

You will always have a special place in our hearts. It is imprinted within all of us until we see you again.  

Picture by Kelly & Bernice Bryce, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment